Sunday, September 7, 2008

Happy father's day

I'm sure there'd be lot many father's day to come; lot more trips for me to make to Bunnings to buy daddy tools to stack up in the garage ... but I think this is the one daddy will remember for a long time to come. Why? Cause this is his first one as a father! For the first time he celebrated father's day holding me in his hand, knowing full well what it means to be a father. I can see in his eyes, he was definitely the proudest daddy around.

Mommy booked for a dinner on Saturday, a day before the father's day. We drove to Berowra Waters for a yummy seafood buffet. It was a wet evening but was a nice drive through the Berowra Waters Park - makes you feel you were miles away from the city. Mommy put together a little card for daddy - complete with my footprint and handwriting (with mommy's help of course). Daddy was so pleased! Well, dinner was lovely. I was well-behaved (as usual), we took lots of pictures and enjoyed the great food.

Sunday morning, the actual father's day, I hit my next big milestone with daddy. My first day in the pool. Yes, we booked for a morning in the pool in the Carlile swimming club next door. I sorted out the swimming costume issue quite easily - mommy bought some little swimmer nappies. After mommy and daddy had a bit of a tour of the swim school, we went straight to the pool waiting for our turn. We watched on the little toddlers having some great time in the pool.

At 9.15 am, it was our turn. My trainer, Nat, helped me get into the water. At 32 degrees, the water was in perfect temperature. Nat then stepped daddy through how to help me get used to the water and the instructions that she was giving me. It was nursery rhymes, jumping or whooshing through water, or just pouring a bucket load of it on my head. I was game enough. I was wondering what daddy really wanted me to do - its not that I can start to swim right away. Nor did I enjoy the toys or the water splashing on me. Luckily, I was the only student for Nat - so I had her undivided attention.

While I went through most of the class without much of a noise; towards the end I got a bit cranky. I suppose I didn't like the water for that long, nor the attention around me. So mommy had to cut short the class and take me to the change room. After the class, they discussed about whether I'd be going back there next week. While my parents were pretty keen on me picking up the love for the water early on and learn the social skills through the interaction with other kids - they thought I need another couple of months before I can appreciate it all. So for now, I'd be enjoying the water in our bathtub.

Daddy had some work to do during the day - so we kept our father's day celebration to a minimum. But overall, it was a fun weekend and a big day in the pool for me.

No comments: